Why is a Good Sex Life Important for Women?
Good sex life is not only important for men, but it is significant for women too. However, as women grow older, their sex drive decreases. The lack of sex drive can be attributed to numerous reasons, physical or psychological. Even though the sex drive significantly decreases (comparing to 20s) studies show that women will still continue to have sex as long as they regard it as important. Good sex life is important because:
- It can Make You Slimmer – Sex burns between 75 and 150 calories in 30 minutes. It should be noted that with yoga you lose 114 calories in 30 minutes, 129 calories with dancing, and you will lose 153 calories while walking for 30 minutes.
- It Improves* Heart Health – The leading cause of death in women is a heart-related disease. Sex raises heart rate and improves* the blood flow. Having sex twice or more during week decreases the risk of suffering from heart-related diseases.
- It Improves* Sleep – Women who have sex regularly are able to handle stress better which leads to better sleep.
- It boosts* Immunity System – Women who have sex twice or more per week have 30% higher levels of immunoglobulin (antibody which boosts* immune system).
- Sex Improves* Mental Health – Sex improves* mental health by increasing intimacy between two people and reducing stress.
- Sex Relieves pain – sexual arousal leads to hormone oxytocin’s secretion which results with release of endorphins. And because of these hormones, sex relieves pain.
- Sex Helps with Bladder Control – Doing Kegel exercises during sex can strengthen muscles that are connected to incontinence.
- It is Good for Skin – During sex, the body produces DHEA hormone (dehydroepinadrosterone) which is beneficial for your skin, and also boosts* your immune system.
Why is Sex Drive Decreasing?
Dr. Holly Thomas from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine conducted the research to examine the quality of sex life in women of different ages. The study included 354 women aged between 40 to late 60s. Every year during four years, the researchers asked women about their physical health and sex life. After four years, about 85% of participants continued to have sexual intercourse and they were mostly white with lower BMI. However, most women reported various difficulties related to the sex life. Having difficulties can result with lack of sex drive, and they are:
- Physical problem
- Hormonal changes
- Lack of lubrication
- Relationship problems.
Sex Drive: Men Vs Women
Men are from Mars, and women are from Venus. That saying perfectly applies to differences in sex drives in men and women. Here are some differences between men and women regarding their sex drives:
- Men think more about the intercourse
- Men are more likely than women to seek for sex
- Women’s “turn-ons” are more complicated than men’s
- Sex drive in women is influenced by cultural and social factors
- Unlike men, women use a less direct way to sexual satisfaction
- Women’s orgasms are different to men’s
- Unlike men, women’s sex drive is not responsive to various drugs.
Patterns show that men seek sex more and are straightforward when it comes to the intercourse, while women’s sex drive is associated to their emotions and other factors.
Five Ways to Have Better Sex Life
Improving sex life can be done in several different ways and they are:
- Talk it Through – Considering the fact that sex drive in women is associated with their emotions, it is recommended to talk through the problems and insecurities. Studies show that even if the woman is sexually aroused she won’t agree to intercourse if she is not up for it emotionally.
- Be Creative – Sex drive can decrease with routine and feeling that sex is only a “chore”. In order to have better sex life for many years you have to be creative and let your imagination do the work. you don’t always have to imagine your partner, you can focus on your favorite celebrity.
- Go Ahead and Do it – Women usually wait for a perfect moment for everything. Also, they do not agree to have sex unless they feel a strong desire. However, experts suggest that women (in order to retain healthy sex drive) should have sex even if they think they don’t have enough desire. It is not about forcing yourself to have sex; it is about reminding yourself about helping yourself to enjoy it.
- Work on Your Self-Esteem – Women won’t have sex if they don’t feel attractive enough, that’s a fact. In order to improve* your sex life, retain healthy sex drive and connect with your partner on intimate level do whatever it takes to improve* your self-esteem like buying sexy lingerie, working out to have nice body etc.
- Don’t be Afraid to Experiment with Toys and Positions – Including toys in sex life brings excitement and increases your sex drive. Trying new positions has the same effect. Even if you are not in your 20s anymore, there are still a lot of different positions you can try in order to retain the healthy sex drive.
Even though women’s sex drive can decrease with age, it is usually the result of emotional or physical problems and it can be improved* by increasing self-esteem and experimenting.
All of the content appearing on our website is produced, selected, and reviewed by talented and experienced health writers and editors. We focus on providing promoting valuable health information and savings on health-related products and solutions for better managing your health. We have one mission, and one mission only: to help you live a healthier, longer life.